Thursday, November 22, 2007

How long do you wait to swim after Thanksgiving dinner?

I have never had to ask myself that question before, but today it was valid.

Thanksgiving was different this year, and very warm. To be honest, I was dreading thinking about my family gathering together and me being with people who aren't my family, though they be Americans and though there be turkey. But today was a lovely day and I really enjoyed it.

All the OMS Missionaries met at the camp around noon to celebrate an early "dinner." We had the traditional American-style meal with lots of turkey, potatoes, beans, pecan pie, cranberry sauce, stuffing...it was delicious. We shared what we were thankful for, and we just had a nice meal together. It didn't feel much like Thanksgiving aside from the food, because it was about 85 degrees out, and while eating my stuffing and mashed potatoes, I was a little warm.

After lunch/dinner, most people went home, but I stuck around with Micah and Marla. We all went swimming with the McKee's for a couple hours, got some sun, and then returned for some more food, some ice cream, and a few rounds of UNO. It was really a lovely day and a lot of fun. I was truly grateful for so many things, just being able to be here being a big one. In the last few days I have seen even more clearly how God has ordained my time here in Londrina. And even though Thanksgiving was different this year, I have just as much, if not more, to be thankful for.

This evening I sat at my computer, munching on some chex mix that my mom made and sent to me, waiting for my family to "call" on skype. When they did, I was greeted by lots of curious faces surrounding my dining room table at home. Though most of them were a little weirded-out by the computer screen and webcam, it was nice to see some familiar faces in my familiar home. Including hearing Tim ask me if I speak Brazilian. It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without that.

It was a great day to remember why I am so grateful, and while it was a bit warmer than I am used to, I wouldn't trade this year for the world.
Besides, tomorrow may be the first time in my life that I am brave enough to go Christmas shopping the day after Thanksgiving. : )

No comments: