Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Passion

75% of all US presidents were in the bottom half of their class. 50% of CEOs had a C or C- average in college. and 50% of all millionaire entrepreneurs never even went to college. What do they have that so many of us do not?
Passion.

It's interesting that one little word can make people do such crazy and often incredibly impressive things. The more I thought about that today, I realized that the first thing in my life (aside from the Lord) that I can recall feeling REALLY passionate about is Brazil. I remember thinking it was a strange feeling. Like, maybe I was crazy. But it changed the way I approached everything. I became more ambitious and I took more risks, but I would never call myself impulsive. And those are all things these leaders and CEOs and millionaires will probably tell you they did. I still don't know exaaaactly in what capacity I will be in Brazil next, but it is so dear to me.

While I'm in the US, I have been reading A Thousand Splendid Suns...in Portuguese. And I listened to my Portuguese worship mix, so much so that when I get to work I have to force myself to say 'good morning' to Pam instead of 'bom dia.'

Joaquim gets here on FRIDAY. 3 days away!!!!!! And hopefully while he is here, in addition to spending time together and him meeting and getting to know my family (poor guy), we will be talking with the international students director at Harper and really getting the ball rolling. Well, it is rolling, but...Harper doesn't know about that yet. The more I think and pray about that, I just think...God is so good and SO faithful.

This gospel song says it so well.......
"Faithful, faithful, faithful is our God.
I'm reaping the harvest God's promised me
Take back what the devil stole from me
And I will rejoice today, for I shall recover it all!"

I'm happy. I'm so content in my job, and it is challenging and my work is always growing and expanding. I'm excited about moving into a new apartment at the end of April, with such a dear friend. And I am amazed at the miracle that will arrive at O'Hare airport on Friday. Joaquim is such a blessing in my life, and God is so good to be bringing him here to me, when I can't go there. HE has everything planned. I remember praying over my relationship with Joaquim in July 2006...10 months before we even started dating...and I felt then, that even though it seemed crazy to me and looked impossible to the world that I could ever go out with this great guy, that God was just saying "wait just a little...and stop worrying about it." He said that because if He had said "ok, so you'll go to Brazil for 6 months a year from now and you can learn Portguese and live in a new city and then live with Joaquim's family and talk with them over coffee every day. Then when you come home, you'll get a job and move into an apartment with Janell, but before that, Joaquim can visit you for a month and we'll take it from there. How does that sound?" I would have fallen over and/or been committed...in the "mental" sense of the word.

Every April-ish at Taylor I remember feeling like spring is such a lovey-dovey season. And I never had a love...or a dove. Now...well, I just bought some Dove deoderant at Walgreens yesterday, and I will have my love here in April! I'm looking forward to that month.

No comments: