Friday, February 29, 2008

The garden...

I bet if Jesus had tylenol pm back in his day, he wouldn't have stayed up all night praying and swaeting blood in the Garden of Gethsemane. However, thanks to modern over the counter medication, I slept like a baby last night, waking up throughout the morning to pray. I would have loved to see a videotape of me sleeping, because I would literally start awake at 6, 7:30, 8, and say a mumbled, sleepy prayer before falling back into a slightly medicated stupor.

So I should hear in about 30 minutes, somehow...not sure if Joaquim is going to call me or get to a computer, so I am just on the alert and have the volume turned up all the way.

If I had to guess...I would say that I have a good feeling about it. This morning I got a little worried and began to pray, plead really, that it would all work out and a verse popped into my head before I could even finish my sentence.

"For as the rain and snow fall from heaven and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." - Isaiah 55:10-11

That is not only encouraging to me in my hopes that God is in on this and it's not just us trying and hoping in vain, but it also humbled me to read. Because our lives are more than our wants and desires. They are God's plans for us. While I am happy to be dating Joaquim and glad that God has worked it out so far for us to be together, in a way that never would have happened on its own, because HE worked it out, we are ultimately His servants. Our lives are truly not our own, and his purposes and desires are beyond our understanding. The best that we can do is surrender everything to him and rejoice in whatever the outcome may be, because we know it is the outcome that the Lord executed. HIS word will not return to HIM empty. It may bless us along the way, but ultimately, it is His and is part of a much larger plan than we could ever understand.
(Comparing it to rain and snow proves that, because I never really understood that precipitation cycle in high school biology.)

No comments: