Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Joga Bonito

Every once in a while, I google "Brazil" and click on "news," just to see what is going on. Today I read an article about a recent soccer win. Brazil's famous "joga bonito" (literally, play beautiful, but really referring more to the flare with which the Brazilian team plays) seems to have undergone some changes. Their win against Argentina was not as flashy or showy as in the past, but was precise and calculated. The article I read included a quote from a Brazilian fan who was grieved by the win. They felt it would be better to lose and still play with their 'jogo bonito' style than to be a 'hideous machine,' as she said. This is apparently a common sentiment among Brazil's fans. I found that to be an incredible insight into the heart of Brazilian culture. How can you NOT love that???

A friend told me the other day that I was "glowing." I'm not sure if that is true, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that in this trip, my heart's desires are truly coming together and taking shape. It has really been exciting to see, and I also get the sense that I don't even know the half of what is coming in the next six months.

Just a few nights ago, I really began praying that God would prepare me to leave. I am so excited that I think I don't stop enough to consider the gravity of a trip of this length. I read through Ephesians 6 and was reminded of Paul's call to constantly put on the armor of God, and to stand. As I fell asleep later that night, I suddenly felt with renewed intensity that these next three weeks may be incredibly difficult.

It is no secret that the enemy does not want me to go to Brazil. The great passion in my heart for this ministry, combined with the obstacles I have already overcome (and still am trying to) are clear indicators that the Lord has big things in store. This is both incredibly exhilerating and sobering. I feel ready for anything now, but miscommunications and problems still take me by surprise.

3 weeks from today I will be arriving in Iguassu Falls. From there, I will go to Lar Batista, the place where I first fell in love with Brazil, and will hopefully spend one week there. It still hasn't begun to feel real to me. I have yet to fully understand that I will be in the same place I was in March of 2006, when now I am in such a very different situation. Before I had no idea what to expect and barely knew my team members. Now I am going alone, preparing for 6 months in the country, and, thanks to strong relationships that have been built over the last year, I am anxiously expected. It is truly an honor to have that said from a place that means so much to you.

After what I know will be a great week in Assis Chateaubriand, I will make the 4 hour trip to Londrina, and will begin the process of settling in for a good 4 months.

So, the time is coming...20 days until I leave...and God is good.

No comments: