Sunday, September 16, 2007

Happy Anniversary

Yesterday marked one month that I have been in Brazil. It's hard to believe that number. 1 month. 31 days. Wasn't it longer? No, it must have been less because I hardly noticed the time flying by. Yes, one month can mean different things to different people. To some, it is just another opportunity to flip the page on the calendar. For me, it was full of innumerable new experiences and has given me a moment to think back on what God has been teaching me.

Before I left, especially in my frustration over why in the world I wasn't given a 5 year visa, the Lord kept impressing obedience upon my heart. "Just go." He pointed me here to Londrina, and was waiting when I arrived, there is no question about that. So He is using me, somehow. And as I thought about it, I have no doubt of that fact now. Although I am still getting to know people, and have found myself involved in more crafts than when I was in kindergarten, I feel a certain peace about the fact that I am just...supposed to be here. I have also learned that nothing compares to really being where you're supposed to be. Plus, it has only been a month. I'm here until the end of December, so who knows what could happen by then? I know, and have been told by many people, that God has some serious plans, so I'm just hanging out while He is working them out.

Well, enough philosophizing, how about an update?

I know I said on Thursday that I would relax Friday morning...well, that turned into waking up at 6:30 to go to a local school with two new friends, Scott and Gustavo. Scott is from Ohio and Gustavo is from Londrina and they have been working together for 6 years, presenting the gospel to high schoolers - in their schools. It's really an incredible opportunity, and they begin by sharing about differences between the American and Brazilian cultures, teach a quick and funny English lesson, and then eventually share the gospel. They capitalized on such things as "what do you do with trash in the US?" and Scott throws it in the garbage. Then Gustavo tosses it on the floor. "How do people greet each other in America?" They shake hands, talk about the weather, maintain a nice distance of personal space, and then wave goodbye. As Brazilians, they hugged, and talked at the same time, loudly. Very exaggerated, but funny, and with some truth to it. It was cool to see what they did, and nice of them to go out of their way to invite me there with them.

Friday afternoon I met my third Portuguese teacher, and that was nice. Our lesson was a bit more repetitive than the other ones, and I think I was tired by the end of a full week, but it was good and challenging near the end. Each teacher has needed to see where I stand, so they begin with things like "good morning" and when they see my brain falling asleep, ask me to tell them about a recent trip I took, in Portuguese, for example. Slightly more challenging, to say the least.

The weekend was relaxing and enjoyable. Tonight is church...soon I'm going to sing "Shout to the Lord" because that's a song that the pianist for the worship team definitely knows. We had an impromptu rehearsal last night about 5 minutes before the youth service, and to be honest I might even be singing it tonight. Funny. Well, I'm always ready...

No comments: