Saturday, September 22, 2007

You is

Tragedy:
In the month that I have been in Londrina, I have only received one piece of mail, from miss Alexandra Elizabeth Fillmore. Just in case you all need my address, here it is once again. ; )

c/o ISBL
Rua Senador Sousa Naves, 880
Londrina, PR 86010-160
Brazil


Anyway...Today was my first try at teaching English to the adolescents at church. It was interesting, that's for sure. I think it was a good introduction and now I have some more ideas for next time. I decided to make an American dessert or snack or something for every class. Maybe I'll get tired of it after next week, but my guess would be no. Today I tried making toffee. I'd never done it before, so I just looked up a recipe on the internet and gave it a shot. It turns out, that's the easiest thing in the world and you would never know it by how good it tastes! Just butter, sugar and a little vanilla, melt some chocolate on top and enjoy a couple hours later. It was a hit with the kids at church too. My kitchen sort of smelles like Morkes Chocolates now, which is nothing to complain about, that's for sure.

During the English lesson, I just talked a little bit about myself and wrote down some vocabulary words for them to understand what I was saying. We talked briefly about the verb "to be" and as we were going over the different conjugations, Juliana raised her hand and said "my teacher told me it was 'you is'." Yikes.

Today has been nice and relaxing, with some baking, sleeping until 10, and not needing to be anywhere until 3:30. Tonight there is an anniversary service at another church, but as 3 churches are all going to be packed into 1 small church and it is probably going to be a late party, I have gladly accepted Gwen's offer to just stay home tonight. All in all, it was a wonderful Saturday.

No comments: