Sunday, October 7, 2007

Água de coco

Today has, in a word, been awesome. The only hindrance at the moment is that I feel a little homesick because it's currently sort of dark and rainy, which only makes me want to be cozy at home. So I'm trying to be cozy here. It has been semi-successful.

I woke up this morning nice and late, took my time getting ready to go meet up with some youth from church. I had talked with a friend, Mariele, on Friday about getting together this weekend, so we made plans last night to go to the park today and maybe walk around the lake a little, just get out and do something. Last night after the youth service, Mariele announced to the whole world that we were meeting at ISBL at 2pm to go to Lake Igapó...and so we did.

It was nice, about 10 people showed up, but it was so hot. When I was leaving my apartment this afternoon it was almost 100 degrees and the last thing I wanted to do was be outside, mid-day, walking or playing soccer or something. Blah. But I went, bought some water on the way, and it was a nice afternoon. We walked to a big park here in town, and we just hung out. Some people played soccer, we played a little volleyball, swang on the swings...I had a near-disaster on a teeter-totter with no handles. Those things are dangerous, especially when someone else jumps on the other side. We just goofed off, and eventually people started to get hot and tired. So, what would you do in that situation? Naturally, you would walk up the hill to the little vendor selling coconut water. Yes, it's true, for about $1.25 you can have your own coconut and a straw. Just ask the guy with the machete, and he would chop off the bottom, so you could hold it or set it down, then chop off the other side and spear the top, and some water would squirt out. He then hands it to you, and, drink away. It was kind of hilarious for me when I really thought about what I was doing. So refreshing though. I didn't drink the whole thing, but it was delicious on such a hot day.

After that, I was sitting on a blanket with Flávia and Nice and it started to rain a little. It had looked like it was going to, but it does so rarely here that no one really was concerned. Well, it rained...and rained...and rained. The girls and I ran to a giant cement tube for cover, and we brought our snacks and continued our conversation about favorite movies, but then the wind was blowing the rain, and eventual hail, into our cement shelter, so we decided to just accept our fate. Well, after roasting earlier in the afternoon, we were shivering, and I had pieces of hail in my hair. It was hilarious. The three of us headed back and I arrived home totally soaked. There is nothing better than putting on dry clothes and making some coffee after such an event. It just started storming again, and is now about 70 degrees. Thank the LORD.

Though slightly unorthodox, "um domingo bem diferente," it was a fun day, always a pleasure to get to know people better and speak more and more Portuguese...and now I'm going to take a shower and make myself presentable for church in an hour and a half. What a day...

COMMENT!!!!!! : )

2 comments:

Mitch said...

Hi Christine! I can certainly relate to you're being out in the hot, hot weather. Terry ran in the Chicago marathon this past Sunday, so I took the kids downtown to watch. It was 75 degrees at 6:30 in the morning when we were driving into the city. Turned out to be about 88 at its hottest- and felt like summer w/humidity making things worse. They eventually stopped the race due to the heat and lack of water for the runners. It was a pretty tragic event, with lots of runners dropping out along the course. Terry survived, though, and managed to raise a good bit of $$ for Worldvision along the way. Today it's supposed to only be 60 degrees here, so I think fall may have actually arrived. It sounds like you are doing a lot of varied things w/your time in Brazil. How amazing it is to think of you over there interacting and speaking Portugese!! I'm not even sure if I'd recognize that language if I heard it!!! We're happy to hear that your hives are gone - and hopefully you won't have any other medical scares along those lines. Just be careful what you eat! I so enjoying reading your updates and will continue to pray for you daily! Be strong, be a light and be your wonderful self!
Andrea Dinterman

arrested.by.grace said...

Ah I miss you dearest! But reading your blog is almost like having a phone conversation with you. I can imagine your voice and at really random intervals I imagine you saying whatever it is that I'm reading in 'chipmunk'. Now chipmunk with a Portuguese accent is hilarious, let me tell you! =)