Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Everywhere I Look

I just returned to Taylor from a long spring/Easter break in Florida and the Bahamas. I went down there with the chorale for a tour and it was a very strenuous week but I enjoyed spending so many days with that group. While I was in Florida I had a faint hope to connect with some Brazilians. That is of course always my faint hope because I'm mildly obsessed, but I knew Florida was a popular place for Brazilians to live because of the similar climate. I prayed for a chance to meet someone at a church we sang at or even to stay with a Brazilian family one night after a concert. But I didn't actually expect anything. I should know better than to expect that God would not bless me when it comes to this...

Wednesday night I had the pleasure of meeting up with my dear, dear friend Stephanie. She was in town visiting her grandmother and the chorale sang at her grandmother's church, so we were able to spend a couple hours together afterwards. While we were walking along the beach by my hotel, we walked past two people who I thought were speaking Portuguese. I made her turn around and double back so I could be sure and when I was, I excused myself and asked if they were from Brazil. They were and were therefore more than happy to talk with me about it. We had a great conversation for about 30 minutes until Stephanie, being such a good sport about my crazy impromptu conversations, tugged my arm saying she really did have to head out.

During our talk, Frank asked me what religion I was. I responded that I was a Christian and he said, "cool, me too." His friend Carina said "yay, everyone is!" They asked where we were from and when I said Chicago, Frank remarked how crazy he's heard that city is and he wants to go there and to New York to party, etc. He told me a couple places to go in Brazil where the girls are so amazing...I don't know that I care about that, but I appreciated his input I suppose. With all of this in mind, I invited them to our concert in Deerfield Beach the next day. I called them the next morning to give them the time of the concert and address of the church and they told me they were coming.

Later that day the chorale stopped for dinner and it started raining while we were in the restaurant. It was a beautiful, warm downpour with the sun shining near the end. Naturally, I kept my eyes open for a rainbow. I saw one as we were walking out to the bus to drive to the church. When we arrived at the church there was a notice on the sign that said "Brazilian service 7pm" and a Brazilian flag in the sanctuary. So Frank and Carina came and all I could do was wave subtly to them as I walked down the side aisle between songs, because they left so quickly afterwards. Carina called me and left me a voicemail saying how beautiful it was and how she would like to stay in touch. I don't know if we will or if I will talk with them much ever again, but I know God brought them to that concert for a reason and I am just trusting He will use the message the chorale clearly offered to speak to their hearts and prepare them for what He is going to do.

All of this is to say that God is working even before I get on a plane in a few months and actually go to Brazil. And I could not be more happy, grateful and excited about that fact.

2 comments:

Rebbie said...

love you so much. it's pretty fun watching the pieces fall together. nice too, always be aware of how Jesus is just about to bless you. yea, he loves your grateful spirit, you little songbird. kiss from your farflung buddy, rebecca

Rebbie said...

wow, was typing too fast to properlly type. it should be 'always *being*'. there it is. and now youre disappointed because, two comments? really only one. sorry, friend. i am ashamed.