Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Audio Settings

Last night I watched a movie with Joaquim's sister Raquel while he was at work for a couple hours. We were trying to find a way to work the subtitles and the audio so we could both understand what we were seeing. Both were in Portuguese, but after a few clicks of the remote control, suddenly the girl on the screen started speaking English, and it was like a breath of fresh air. I've been feeling the past couple days like I could really use an audio switch on my brain so I could just select "Portuguese" and everything would be fine.

I've been able to at least figure out what is going on in conversations, but it's hard to have nothing to contribute, and to only respond with awkward facial expressions and/or 2 words when someone addresses me. Being a person who has always found words important, not being able to use them is frustrating, to say the least.

It's great to be here, but I'm starting to look forward to figuring out how to live on my own in Brazil. There are small differences in life here that are nothing but intimidating to me at the moment, because I have no way to figure things out for myself. I'm ready to be on my own to test the waters of Brazilian life!

We'll see what the future holds...until then, I really am enjoying the present, that's for sure!

No comments: