Monday, August 20, 2007

Days 2, 3...etc.

Well, the weekend came and went, and it was too busy to update, not that I'm complaining. : )

Thursday I went out with Joaquim to buy rings. In Brazil, if you're dating someone, you wear a silver ring on the ring finger of your right hand. So, naturally, we needed said rings. That was great, and it has continually been good to be spending time with him. Later that night we had passion fruit juice with dinner, and about 30 minutes later, I was totally exhausted. I fell asleep watching tv, and wasn't sure why, considering it was only 9:30 and it should have felt like 7:30 for me...then I was informed that passion fruit juice tends to make people feel drowsy. And because I'd never had it before, it really did a number on me, I could hardly keep my eyes open. Whoops.

The weather has been a little chilly. There's lots of burning leaves, so the chill in the air and that smell combined really makes it feel like fall. It's winter here, but I feel like I should be seeing Thanksgiving decorations and hearing football on tv. Weird. Then I realize that when it IS time for Thanksgiving, it will be really hot here, and there will be no talk of pilgrims. Fine with me, but just funny.

This weekend was relaxing, with a visit to the farm, to the party in Assis Chateaubriand, I saw Joaquim's work on Friday, and went with him Saturday night to sell tickets for the party, and generally just had a nice few days. It's hard to believe I left almost a week ago. It feels both longer and shorter since then...Also hard to believe that I only have a week left here. Ai ai ai...it'll be hard to be away again.

I've also been understanding a lot more Portuguese, day by day. It's wonderful because being the only one not involved in a conversation is frustrating to say the least. And Joaquim can only spend so much time translating for me. So I've been glad to be able to at least know a little bit of what is being talked about. I even laughed at a joke in church yesterday. Joaquim kind of looked at me like "Wow, you understood that??" So, hopefully when I start learning some more grammatical things in class, etc, I'll be able to really learn quickly. I really hope, at least.

Well, I wish I had more to say, but though life is great, it's been pretty calm and normal as well. I'll try to update again tomorrow, sorry for being MIA for a few days.

Love to everyone!

4 comments:

Annie said...

your life is so exciting. I am excited to read more about what is going on with you as this fall continues!

Anonymous said...

I bet Joaquim knew all about the passion fruit juice...sneaky.

Christine said...

Oh no, no...he has in fact instructed me to never have it again, haha.

Unknown said...

I'm with Leah.