Friday, August 31, 2007

Sunny Days

Today is another beautiful day. It's almost 90 degrees, 32C, sunny and breezy. Last night I went to bed the earliest I have in weeks, before midnight, so this morning I woke up bright and early. I think that was a miracle, but a good decision. The past two days have been nice and slow for me, which is definitely the way I work best. I had a calm and quiet breakfast, read a little in the morning, and then sat down with Gwen to clear up a few more questions and just general do's and don't's of my time here and cultural things in Brazil.

After that I decided to make my way out into town. I needed to mail a few letters and buy stamps for more, so I found out where the post office was and the paper store. It was a nice little walk, and I think I'm really going to like living in the city where everything you need is a few blocks away. I walked past a park and a quiet sitting area, one of which was overhung with palm trees and other tropical looking plants. Sometimes I forget I'm in Brazil, despite the constant Portuguese...I also realized on my walk that I live across the street from a pet store. That would explain the constant barking of small dogs. Maybe tomorrow or another day I will explore more and check out the supermarket, learn how to walk to church and the office, etc. It's all very close by and Gwen usually drives, but I'm a fan of using the ole legs, so it will be nice to know how to get around a little more independently.

This afternoon Vanda came over and we had to finish making some invitations to a women's tea at the church. This involved lots of cutting and glueing and glittering. My thumb lost feeling a little after using the scissors for hours on end, but they turned out nicely. I've still been sitting and listening to conversations, sometimes piping in with the name of a movie or something but I still have no idea what to say. I'm collecting new words every day, and I'm beginning to anticipate the time when I'll be able to do more than answer questions with one word.

I guess on Friday nights some people from the church come over to play games, like Mexican Train Dominos or Dutch Blitz. I should probably warn them of my speedy skills with the latter, but I don't think I'm going to.

Tomorrow morning we're going to the mall to meet another one of the American missionaries, and then during the afternoon and evening we're going to an adolescents meeting and a youth service. Gwen was explaining that when Brazilians refer to youth ("jovens") they really mean anyone who is out of school, under 40, and not married. So that could be a wide range of people and a really good opportunity to meet people and ::ahem:: practice my Portuguese, as always. For one of the services, I think the adolescents, I've been asked to share my testimony of what brought me to Brazil. I'm assuming someone will translate for me so I can be free to tell the whole story. I'm excited about that because it's something I always love to share, and I hope it helps people get to know me and understand better why I really do feel God has me here.

It should be great, I'm really looking forward to that and to the opportunity to form some new friendships and get out a little more! I'm starting to get stir-crazy in the apartment, even though I'm friends with the cat now. She batted at my leg this morning when I walked by. I guess that's a good sign.

No comments: